This Discussion channel is currently closed.

Tell us what you think about the updated Transportation Master Plan.

What works for you? What doesn’t? What are you excited about? What gives you pause? Please share any reactions, thoughts or questions you may have.

12 Responses

Bootstrap_cropped-2010-02-20_3014
Edmond Richard over 1 year ago

Look light rail or street cars! OK, where in what PDF does it show the NEED or DESIRE for such things? Has MAG come from above and said - Scottsdale you must partake of the light rail or suffer....! - Is traffic so bad that ONLY a SMALL portion of Scottsdale needs it? What is the JUSTIFICATION for light rail/street cars? Please someone point me to what study or survey shows that Scottsdale needs this.

1 Support this idea
Default_avatar
Charles Peters, Dr. over 1 year ago

Excellent point, Edmond. There is no valid economic argument that justifies this inordinately expensive proposal. And, politically, Scottsdale citizens have consistently opposed light rail as a transportation option.

0 Support this ideas

Default_avatar
Carol Yocom over 1 year ago

When I lived in Salt Lake City, there was a great deal of opposition to light rail service. After it was implemented, people loved it. The trick, of course, is that it has to go where people want to go and Scottsdale is so spread out it would be hard to identify a destination point. I prefer the localized trolley/street car approach. Even better would be cheap jitneys.

2 Support this ideas

Default_avatar
Frank Darmiento over 1 year ago

TRAFFIC CONGESTION It might be useful for the Transportation Plan to address the issues at the Scottsdale Airpark in more detail. The Scottsdale Airpark area is home to approximately 3,000 businesses and over 50,000 employees. Therefore, it would seem that there would be a benefit in addressing the transportation planning for the Airpark in more detail.

The City of Scottsdale has made several transportation improvements in the Airpark which have alleviated some traffic congestion. These include the Northsight Boulevard connection to Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard and the roundabout at Northsight Boulevad and Hayden Road. Scottsdale also has plans to connect Raintree Drive to Scottsdale Road.

I suggest emphasizing a focus on Intelligent Transportation System technology and in particular, ITS applications to the Airpark traffic flow. Advances in ITS technology are continuing and may well offer significant benefits to this problem in the near future. Another possible consideration would be to offer incentives to Airpark employers to utilize flexible work hours to reduce the rush hour traffic demand.

ART WORK Scottsdale is to be commended for its pioneering support of aesthetics in its transportation system. My personal observations are: 1. The freeway artwork is impressive. 2. The piece in the roundabout at Northsight Boulevard and Hayden Road is less than impressive. 3. The rusted pieces of metal (in the form of animals) stuck in the ground on the east side of Hayden Road between Sweetwater Drive and Thunderbird Road are a good way to dispose of scrap metal.

1 Support this idea

Default_avatar
Andy Blank over 1 year ago

Nice plan - but ignoring light rail is short sighted. The city needs light raid and other mass transit options for the growing population and work force. Time to step up to light rail.

5 Support this ideas
Bootstrap_cropped-2010-02-20_3014
Edmond Richard over 1 year ago

Mr. Bank - I assume you have read the PDF files and seen where the light rail is being proposed. So where is the justification for light rail? You want to say that a growing population and work force are ONLY in South Scottsdale? So the Airpark is a ghost town? People ONLY live in South Scottsdale and they ONLY travel to the limits of the light rail? So your argument is that South Scottsdale residents work along the light rail route and live only where light rail goes? You want to propose a CITY WIDE light rail? That would make more sense to address your - growing population and work force - BUT that is NOT what is being proposed. So please clarify the - short sighted - issue that requires light rail.

0 Support this ideas
Default_avatar
Bill Blank over 1 year ago

I think if Scottsdale links up to nearby the light rail near Rural Rd in Tempe, then it would share the overwhelming success of the current Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa lightrail. if you've been on the current light rail, you can see the huge traffic load it has. Maybe even go from Tempe border to old town to the Airpark area?!

0 Support this ideas

Default_avatar
Shawn Metz over 1 year ago

I’m happy to see the emphasis on mass transit and bike infrastructure. It’s no secret that Phoenix is a car-centric city. However, it is misguided to believe that future planning simply involves the construction of additional lanes on major thoroughfares. I think everyone posting on this discussion is well aware of the congestion on the Loop 101 every day in rush hour. I, for one, am hardly optimistic that the addition of 1 (or maybe 2) lanes is going to provide any long lasting relief to the city’s growing congestion woes. It’s also well documented in many recent studies that millennials, including myself, are opting to reduce usage of the personal car in favor of alternative routes of transportation.

My wife and I, who are college-educated and comfortably upper-middle class income, are in the process of reducing our garage from 2 cars to 1. I commute downtown to a suit-and-tie job through usage of Valley Metro Light Rail and bike commuting. The connection of the greenbelts, as well as Miller Road, to light rail has been a crucial part of our decision to reside in Scottsdale. While many may criticize the decision to reduce to one car, we have done this in order to allow us to divert additional income to our home and entertainment expenses. So, rather than spending $20-$40 a week in fuel, we now use this money to frequent local establishments, such as Fate Brewing, which keeps our money within the community. It should also be noted that light rail reports a ridership of approximately 44,000 per day in FY ‘15. The cost of this should also consider lost opportunity expenses from commuting in a vehicle with one occupant (which inevitably leads to sitting in traffic).

That commentary aside, I am apprehensive about the plan to provide a 2 stop plan from the park-and-ride to Scottsdale Fashion. 10 minutes is hardly a major cost savings for someone with the time to go shopping, and I question the ridership of that particular route. I’d also like to see some additional consideration to separated bike lanes, particularly at intersections along the major bike thoroughfares (like Miller Road). Also, as I’m sure cars have no desire to share major artery streets with bicycles, I’d like to continue to see the emphasis of alternate routes which currently exist in Scottsdale.

3 Support this ideas

Default_avatar
Eileen Klecka over 1 year ago

We would love to see the light rail in Scottsdale. We have friends that live along the light rail in Phoenix and when we visit them, we ride the light rail to dinner. We would love to have that option in Scottsdale.

2 Support this ideas

Bootstrap_mark_head_shot_2-15_cropped
Mark Schlesinger over 1 year ago

Seemingly year after year, Scottsdale Rd north of the 101 is not part of the master plan. Pima Rd and Hayden Rd (to Pinn Pk Rd) all have had improvements in the last 10 years, but Scottsdale Rd is ignored.

It is understood that the western side of the road is City of Phoenix or state land and their participation in any project necessary, but I have to believe that the city can devise a viable solution to widen or improve the roadway with or without the cooperation of the other jurisdictions.

At one time there was a master plan proposal to work on Scottsdale Rd from Thompson Pk to Pinnacle Pk, but that seems to have vanished. Drive it someday with vehicles approaching at over 50 mph and you will wish there was a median for your safety.

1 Support this idea

Default_avatar
Lizabeth Whiteley over 1 year ago

More public transportation options are absolutely necessary for the growing population in Scottsdale. We live within McCormick Ranch and our frustration is the growing number of cars that are populating our streets. We are essentially boxed in by freeway size roads. Once Hayden was increased to 6 lanes, it effectively became a highway. Nobody goes the speed limit and it's a high danger to those who feel like they can bike/walk/drive safely throughout this neighborhood. The traffic is absolutely creating a negative impact on the quality of life here.

Our home backs up to Via Linda, right across from Cochise. This street has become a shortcut to the freeway. Although I've heard the traffic has decreased in the past 10 years, I find it hard to believe. It's a steady stream of speeding cars that are able to easily avoid the roundabout speed bumps. Larger roundabout structures are needed and looking at the Calming Speed Bumps that are similar to what is on Sweetwater Rd. should be considered.

The traffic speed in Scottsdale has reached a ridiculous level. We moved here from Northern California and I can tell you drivers in Scottsdale are some of the most reckless I've seen. Cameras at intersections need to be in place to keep this in check. I rarely see police cars pulling people over for speeding or running red lights. If we can't dedicate the appropriate staffing to this, then technology will have to be relied on.

I can tell you it's only a matter of time before a tragic accident happens on Hayden and Via Linda. The curve of Hayden as you head North towards Via Linda distorts the perception of the speed at which cars are traveling. People headed south, turning left off of Hayden (to Via Linda are frequently in near miss accidents).

When promoting Scottsdale as a "most livable city", strong attention needs to be placed on quality of life experience (noise, traffic and pollution greatly impact that) as does safety. This is a city where the weather allows us to walk or bike most days of the year. Unfortunately, the traffic volume makes it both unappealing to be on these major roads throughout our city or too dangerous. When I bike to places, I take the sidewalk. At least I have a better chance of not being hit by a distracted driver who is texting or one that is speeding.

That brings up another element of transportation. Only hands free use of a cell phone in a vehicle. When will this be instituted and enforced?

1 Support this idea

Bootstrap_small_city-symbol---blue-square
Jennifer Banks, City Staff admin over 1 year ago

Thank you all for your comments regarding the updated Transportation Master Plan. They have been shared with the Transportation Commission. This topic will remain open through the end of May if anyone would like to add additional comments.

0 Support this ideas